Are you looking for epic hero quotes to conjure up ideas of bravery, strength and sacrifice for the greater good? If so, you’ll love our collection of over 30 famous heroes quotes and sayings!
Throughout the ages, stories have celebrated the idea of a noble hero. Someone who possesses courage and nobility, often taking great risks for the benefit of others. But heroes can also be flawed, overcoming their own weaknesses or obstacles to do the right thing.
Read on to discover these interesting quotes about heroes and draw inspiration from them to be the hero in your own story!
If you enjoyed this page, pick your favorite image and share on Pinterest!
1. “A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
2. “People are not born heroes or villains; they’re created by the people around them.” – Chris Colfer
3. “A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.” – Christopher Reeve
4. “A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
5. “No hero is mortal till he dies.” – W.H. Auden
You Might Also Like:
6. “To be a hero or a heroine, one must give an order to oneself.” – Simone Weil
7. “A hero is a man who is afraid to run away.” – English Proverb
8. “Being a hero is not necessarily wearing a mask and cape and saving the world, it can be as simple as doing the right thing.” – Steven Magee
9. “A hero is someone right who doesn’t change.” – George Foreman
10. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
You Might Also Like:
11. “To be heroic is to be courageous enough to die for something; to be inspirational is to be crazy enough to live a little.” – Criss Jami
12. “My heroes are those who risk their lives every day to protect our world and make it a better place—police, firefighters, and members of our armed forces.” – Sidney Sheldon
13. “A hero is someone who, in spite of weakness, doubt or not always knowing the answers, goes ahead and overcomes anyway.” – Christopher Reeve
14. “Heroes are made in the hour of defeat. Success is, therefore, well described as a series of glorious defeats.” – Mahatma Gandhi
15. “We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up… discovering we have the strength to stare it down.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
16. “To be heroic may mean nothing more than this then, to stand in the face of the status quo, in the face of an easy collapse into the madness of an increasingly chaotic world and represent another way.” – Mike Alsford
17. “I think a hero is any person really intent on making this a better place for all people.” – Maya Angelou
18. “Heroes aren’t born, they’re cornered. Oh, I was cornered. And I found out that I was no hero.” – James Belushi
19. “I think of a hero as someone who understands the degree of responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
20. “Heroes are made by the paths they choose, not the power they are graced with.” – Brodi Ashton
21. “Anyone who does anything to help a child in his life is a hero to me.” – Fred Rogers
22. “True heroism is remarkably sober, very dramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others, at whatever cost.” – Arthur Ashe
23. “There is real power in seeing yourself as a hero. Because then you believe that you can do anything.” – Jenny Han
24. “Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say: This is my community, and it’s my responsibility to make it better.” – Tom McCall
25. “Hard times don’t create heroes. It is during the hard times when the “hero” within us is revealed.” – Bob Riley
26. “The ordinary man is involved in action, the hero act. An immense difference.” – Henry Miller
27. “Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away.” – Tom Brokaw
28. “Without heroes, we are all plain people and don’t know how far we can go.” – Bernard Malamud
29. “We can’t all be heroes, because somebody has to sit on the curb and applaud when they go by.” – Will Rogers
30. “True heroism consists in being superior to the ills of life, in whatever shape they may challenge us to combat.” – Napoleon Bonaparte
31. “We do not have to become heroes overnight. Just a step at a time, meeting each thing that comes up … discovering we have the strength to stare it down.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
32. “A hero is a man who does what he can.” – Romain Rolland
33. “Show me a hero and I will write you a tragedy.” – F Scott Fitzgerald
Holly Jaskolka is a certified Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) practitioner, yoga instructor, and an impassioned advocate for holistic well-being. Fueled by her love for animals and wanderlust, Holly leads a plant-based lifestyle that she complements with immersive travel experiences. When she’s not jet-setting to uncover the world’s hidden gems, she’s empowering individuals to heal emotionally, particularly those grappling with the aftermath of breakups. Connect with Holly on LinkedIn.